Friday, December 6, 2013

Natural Homemade Laundry Soap

I don't buy laundry detergent anymore. I hate the way it smells (mountain breeze? really?) I don't see the need for  all the chemicals they use to make them. And the price of natural detergents is too much. Besides, making laundry soap is easy, cheap, and better for the environment than most detergents.

Ingredients:

1 c. Washing soda
1 c. Borax
1/3 of a Bar of Soap

I use Fels-Naptha soap for the dirtiest toughest clothes with stains. (These three things should be easily found in the laundry isle of your local grocery store.) But Fels-Naptha soap is not as environmentally sound as I would like. So for regular loads I use a natural, locally made soap. I buy a locally made lavender soap from Rudbud Gardens.

Mix together the washing soda and borax first. Then use a cheese grater to grate the bar soap. Mix the grated bar soap into the soda and borax mixture slowly.
If you have a larger container you can double or triple the recipe.

Use only a tablespoon or two per load.

And that is it! Simple, cheap, eco... What more could you want?

No comments:

Post a Comment